Diagnosis & Treatment

Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma
Medical Center
John Theurer Cancer Center, Hackensack University Medical Center - NJ
Dr. Tatyana Feldman - Hackensack, NJ
Clinical Trials
Medical Treatment
Details of Treatment
5 months. Every three weeks I was in the hospital for 5 days at a time. I would have follow up appointments in between sessions.
Medication During Treatment
HYPER-CVAD ( includes the drugs cyclophosphamide, vincristine sulfate, doxorubicin hydrochloride [Adriamycin], and dexamethasone). I also had to take Neupogen shots after treatments to build my white blood cells.
Alternative Therapies During Treatment
No alcohol
Cancer gave me the opportunity to inspire others.
Vitamin C and Vitamin D
WHAt helped me during treatment
Neutrasal to prevent mouth sores and a cap on my head to keep it warm at night.
Favorite Quote
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. - Albert Einstein
Advice for Others
Take it one day at a time and never lose hope. As my friend told me: this is only temporary, it will soon be a memory. I liked to listen to my favorite music, sing, and talk to friends and family.

My Story

In November 2014, my daughter was born. I was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection by my doctor and was on my 3rd round of antibiotics because it just wasn’t going away. Life was hectic as I learned to care for my newborn and was getting into a new routine. Some of my lymph nodes became swollen. I was having night sweats. I developed a rash and high fevers. I tried advocating for myself but I wasn’t heard being heard and was told I was experiencing postpartum problems until my symptoms were so severe that I ended up in the ER.

I was diagnosed finally with Stage IV Diffuse Large B Cell lymphoma in January 2015. I was scared and just wanted to get better for my daughter. I spent 5 months going through treatment. Every 3 weeks I would complete a 5-day hospital stay with 24-hour chemo drips. I had to take medicine and shots at home, in between cycles. I had a picc line instead of a port due to the mass in my chest, so I wasn’t able to lift anything more than 10 pounds, including my daughter. I felt that I missed out on so much with my newborn, but was lucky to have a supportive mom and sister who moved into my home while my husband stayed with me in the hospital. We did what worked best for our family.

For those starting this journey, know that you’re not alone. There is a whole community of survivors online, ready to support you. Be hopeful and practice self-care. Follow me on Instagram at @carolynvento to learn more!

More Stories of Healing